Monday, January 29, 2007

Stupid Product Catalog: Bic Soleil

I'm a thrifty shopper when it comes to stuff I use every day. I appreciate quality, but sometimes, brand name products are stupid. For instance, I don't buy top of the line toilet paper, sandwich baggies or liquid hand soap. Anything I flush down the toilet, wash down the drain or toss in the trash should come into my life as cheaply as possible (I'll opt for a level above the ultra-generic ass-sandpaper masquerading as toilet paper, however). I also buy men's razors. Since they're meant to shave burly lumberjack beards or whatever, they do a better job on my legs than pink chicky crap that has its own theme song. (I'm generally anti-waxing, too. I don't see the point of giving a stranger a fair amount of money that could be spent on cocktails to rip out my pubic hair. The last time I went, this sadistic French chick made me wish I'd gotten an epidural before I'd stepped through the door). One of my main reasons for resisting brand marketing is products like this:
I was shopping in the Duane Reade this evening, pricing the man-razors, when these caught my attention. First of all, they're $6.29 for four razors. What the hell. They're disposable, which should mean cheap! For you math geeks out there, that's $1.57 for a razor that I'll use a couple times. Whereas, with just the barest amount of price comparison effort, I can get 10 Bic (same brand as above, mind you) razors for $5.19, or 52 cents apiece. Yeah, that's how I roll. But the thing that really got me was the lavender-scented handles. I don't know about you, but I have yet to pick up my razor from the side of the tub, take a big whiff of the handle and say, "Man, I wish this smelled like flowers". I just have a maximum for the amount of mixed-in, added-on bells and whistles bullshit I'm willing to deal with for a decent shave of the legs. Congratulations, Bic Soleil Twilight lavender-scented handle girly razors, you've pushed me over the edge.

1 comment:

Shana said...

Um, you forgot to mention the fact that they are called Soleil Twilight or, in English, Sun Twilight. Talk about a stupid name for a product!